News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2014

Started by Takama, October 13, 2013, 01:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are your favourite four 'new for 2014' Safari Ltd animal figures?

Yorkshire Terrier
0 (0%)
Dachshund
0 (0%)
Brahma Bull
0 (0%)
Chicken
0 (0%)
Arabian Mare
0 (0%)
Mustang Mare
0 (0%)
Quarter Horse Mare
0 (0%)
Anhinga
4 (23.5%)
Raven
3 (17.6%)
Hedgehog
1 (5.9%)
Piranha
7 (41.2%)
Piglet
0 (0%)
Gouldian Finch
6 (35.3%)
Peccary
8 (47.1%)
Gila Monster
0 (0%)
Black Wolf
0 (0%)
White Bison
0 (0%)
Giant Panda
1 (5.9%)
Giant Panda cub
2 (11.8%)
Black Rhinoceros
2 (11.8%)
Hippopotamus
1 (5.9%)
Dolphin
0 (0%)
Thresher Shark
3 (17.6%)
Jellyfish
0 (0%)
Bowhead Whale
4 (23.5%)
Pilot Whale
1 (5.9%)
Life Cycle of an Ant
0 (0%)
Life Cycle of a Stag Beetle
0 (0%)
Life Cycle of a Mosquito
2 (11.8%)
Whelk - Seashells Toob
0 (0%)
Purple Lion's Paw - Seashells Toob
0 (0%)
Sand Dollar - Seashells Toob
0 (0%)
Turban - Seashells Toob
0 (0%)
Tuba - Seashells Toob
0 (0%)
Nautilus - Seashells Toob
0 (0%)
Murex - Seashells Toob
0 (0%)
Orange Lion's Paw - Seashells Toob
0 (0%)
Crayfish - Cave Dwellers Toob
0 (0%)
Crab - Cave Dwellers Toob
0 (0%)
Catfish - Cave Dwellers Toob
0 (0%)
Spider - Cave Dwellers Toob
0 (0%)
Eel - Cave Dwellers Toob
1 (5.9%)
Scorpion - Cave Dwellers Toob
0 (0%)
Millipede - Cave Dwellers Toob
0 (0%)
Olm - Cave Dwellers Toob
6 (35.3%)
Gulper Eel (actually a Pelican Eel) - Deep Sea Creatures Toob
0 (0%)
Giant Isopod - Deep Sea Creatures Toob
3 (17.6%)
Glass Squid - Deep Sea Creatures Toob
1 (5.9%)
Angler Fish - Deep Sea Creatures Toob
1 (5.9%)
Hatchet Fish - Deep Sea Creatures Toob
1 (5.9%)
Viper Fish (actually a Sabertooth Fish) - Deep Sea Creatures Toob
0 (0%)
Dragon Fish - Deep Sea Creatures Toob
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Takama

http://downloads.safariltd.com/files/Catalog_Images/New_Products/2014_New_Items/

Link above gives lists and pictures of every new figure that's coming out from Safari Next year.

I have posted pictures of the animal-related figures here on the first post.

[Edit by Admin - I've resized all the images because they were so incredibly huge!]

Wild Life

Panda

Panda Cub

Black Rhino

Hipopatamus

North American Wild Life

Peccary

Gila Monster

White Buffulo

Wings of The World

Anhinga

Raven

Sea Life

Dolphin

Thresher Shark

Jellyfish

Bowhead Whale

Pilot Whale

Farm Life

Chicken

Brahma Bull

Winners Circle

Arabian Mare

Mustang Mare

Quarter Horse Mare

Best in Show

Yorkshire Terrier

Dachshund

Wild Life Wonders

Black Wolf

Incredible Creatures

Hedgehog

Piranha

Goldian Finch

Piglet

Toobs

Cave Dwellers

Sea Shells

Deep Sea Cretures

Designer Toobs

Cryptozoology

Safriology

Life Cycle of a Stag Beetle

Life Cycle of a Mosquito

Life Cycle of a Ant

Enjoy!

tyrantqueen

Is that the complete list, or are there more to be revealed? Because I'm disappointed that there aren't any reptiles in the Incredible Creatures line :(

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

Takama

I believe that's everything.

sbell

I am pleased by many of these--also disappointed by the lack of a Draco in the IC line (I've bugged them for years!) but I'll live.

Most intriguing--piranha, cave toob, raven, GoUldian finch (spelling people), Cave toob (we saw prototypes a while ago--glad it's coming out) and deep sea toob.

Also--why is the Coelacanth (a real thing) mixed in with the crytpo toob? It wasn't even found as a crypto animal--it was stumbled upon by luck. The other ones are stories and myths that people want to believe are out there (despite less evidence existing in a world of more recording devices than ever before).

But I'll still get the toob.

Jetoar

Wonderful new figures. Tresher shark is very nice and I hink the same of piranha and golden finch  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

Oh, wow! :) While I'm not amazed by all of them there are certainly some that I find really impressive! 8)
The adult Panda and the Hippopotamus very much resemble their Wildlife Wonders counterparts.
I like the elegance and slenderness of the Black Rhinoceros.
The NAW Peccary is awesome, the Gila Monster would benefit considerably from a repaint.
The WoW Anhinga is a great choice but the neck appears a little short and fat, at least on the photo. The Raven looks great! ^-^
I'm not impressed by the Dolphin, the head seems to be good but the body seems to be too evenly tapering toward the fluke that the figure looks inaccurate. The Thresher Shark is apparently a Pelagic Thresher, Alopias pelagicus, I'm not aware that species has ever been made before, let alone such a good one! 8) The Jellyfish is a little too generic for my taste. Since I don't see manubrial arms it's probably a leptomedusa, something like Aequorea or the like. The Bowhead Whale again is simply awesome. There cannot be enough Bowheads, anyway, one of the coolest whales! :) I'd need to see the Pilot Whale's head from another angle, probably from top or below to know if I find it good or not.
The Brahma Bull seems to be the same sculpt as the one that had been retired, only less blue.
The Wildlife Wonders Black Wolf is apparently a repaint of the existing one, so it's a bit sad to see we won't get a new WW sculpt next year. :-\
The IC Hedgehog is cute, the Piranha looks awesome and the Gouldian Finch is one of those figures I'll probably have to get even though I was never really after getting a figure from that species.
The Cave Dwellers Toob is a great idea but does the Olm have two or three toes on the rear leg? The seahshell Toob is interesting, but two differently coloured scallops are a bit unnecessary. And I would have preferred a "living" Nautilus a lot over a polished shell. The Deep-sea Creatures Toob is awesome but why did the Pelican Eel and the Hatchetfish (whatever species it is the first dorsal isn't part of the head) needed to have teeth? ??? The cirolanid isopod which is apparently meant to be Bathynomus giganteus is a great idea (I've been working on deep-sea isopods) but it seems there are only six pairs of walking legs instead of seven. I need another photo of the rear end of it but it seems the shape of the pleon and tail fan aren't correct. The two on the right, probably Melanocetus johnsonii and an Idiacanthus sp are excellent!  ^-^ The Cryptozoology Toob is very funny. :D Could it be that's meant to be the Kraken instead of a Giant Squid?
The Life Cycle of a Stag Beetle is great, the grub has one segment too many but hey, I'd never have expected someone to make a Stag Beetle life cycle set! 8)

sbell

Quote from: brontodocus on October 13, 2013, 01:01:22 PM
  ^-^ The Cryptozoology Toob is very funny. :D Could it be that's meant to be the Kraken instead of a Giant Squid?
The Life Cycle of a Stag Beetle is great, the grub has one segment too many but hey, I'd never have expected someone to make a Stag Beetle life cycle set! 8)

I'm pretty sure it's meant to be a Kraken (just like the generic plesiosaur is meant to be Nessie, even though plesiosaurs don't match the descriptions until after plesiosaurs were discovered--go figure!?)

And there was a different beetle life cycle once--it was distributed by Tedco for a while (along with a dragonfly!) but I never got them.

It's apparently still around but it's a stag beetle

tyrantqueen

Couldn't you have taken the time to resize the photos? They're lagging my browser and making it freeze (and my computer has 12GB of ram and is fairly powerful)

The only thing I'm really interested in is the Fruits and Vegetables toob, and maybe the Gouldian Finch.

The Gila monster is pretty bad. I'm glad I have the older sculpt. I'm disappointed with Safari this year :(

AnimalToyForum

Yeah, the pictures are ginormous! I suppose I'll have to fix that...watch this space... C:-)

brontodocus

I have to agree that the photos slow down my browser, too. :-\ It's a pity because I like the fact that their resolution is so high which gives us a good impression about texture and detail.
Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 13, 2013, 05:59:11 PM
The Gila monster is pretty bad. I'm glad I have the older sculpt. I'm disappointed with Safari this year :(
Aw, I knew I forgot to comment on something important... :-[ Congrats, tyrantqueen, that's an awesome catch! :)

EDIT:
Quote from: sbell on October 13, 2013, 03:26:36 PM
And there was a different beetle life cycle once--it was distributed by Tedco for a while (along with a dragonfly!) but I never got them.

It's apparently still around but it's a stag beetle
Hey, that's a Hercules Beetle! :o *needs to find out international shipping quote*

Takama

Quote from: animaltoyforum on October 13, 2013, 06:50:38 PM
Yeah, the pictures are ginormous! I suppose I'll have to fix that...watch this space... C:-)

can you please?, I have no clue how to resize them :-[

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: Rex on October 13, 2013, 07:10:55 PM

can you please?, I have no clue how to resize them :-[

Done. They are now all 1000px wide, so much much smaller. But there are so many, it will still take time for them all to load...

Basically, anything over 1000px wide is too big for a forum post. Better to link to anything larger than that instead.

AnimalToyForum

I love the Gouldian finch. The tail on the dolphin looks a bit long, perhaps it is the angle.

tyrantqueen

That's much better, thank you :)

stemturtle

Can we identify the cave salamander?

Safari Ltd. will release a toob of cave dwellers in 2014, including a much-anticipated cave salamander. 
From the photo, this creature appears to have 3 digits on each of the front limbs, so we might conclude
that this guy is an olm, Proteus anguinus.  A Texas blind salamander, Eurycea rathbuni, would have 4 fingers on its hands. 
Furthermore, an olm would show only 2 toes on each rear foot, instead of the usual 5. 
However, it looks like there may be 3 toes on each hind leg.   A little toe amputation would fix the count. 
We best wait to examine the figure to see if an ID is marked on it .

brontodocus

Yes, that's my problem with the figure, too... It was the eel-like slenderness of the figure and the popularity of the olm that made me think it's Proteus anguinus. And if it is only the hind feet may have the wrong number of digits, not hind and fore feet. Eurycea rathbuni, E. wallacei, and the like would also have tails that are as long as or even longer than the snout-vent length, on the figure these proportions match the olm with its long body and shorter tail. But, of course those cave-dwelling Eurycea species are quite popular (especially in the U.S.), too... Nevertheless, I'm happy such a toob will be released and of course I'll get one! :)

bmathison1972

Quote from: brontodocus on October 14, 2013, 01:52:19 PM
Yes, that's my problem with the figure, too... It was the eel-like slenderness of the figure and the popularity of the olm that made me think it's Proteus anguinus. And if it is only the hind feet may have the wrong number of digits, not hind and fore feet. Eurycea rathbuni, E. wallacei, and the like would also have tails that are as long as or even longer than the snout-vent length, on the figure these proportions match the olm with its long body and shorter tail. But, of course those cave-dwelling Eurycea species are quite popular (especially in the U.S.), too... Nevertheless, I'm happy such a toob will be released and of course I'll get one! :)

I'm happy with the cave toob as it has 5 arthropods but...there are cave millipedes that would be more interesting than this centipede (which looks like an unpainted version of their Venomous Creatures Toob Scolopendra). The spider looks too generic; a camel cricket or a mite of some sort woulda been a better choice :). And although I don't collect mammals, I'm surprised there is no bat. I guess they wanted critters that live exclusively in caves and don't venture out :).
Still I applaud Safari for their efforts.

brontodocus

Quote from: bmathison1972 on October 14, 2013, 07:32:40 PM
I'm happy with the cave toob as it has 5 arthropods but...there are cave millipedes that would be more interesting than this centipede (which looks like an unpainted version of their Venomous Creatures Toob Scolopendra). The spider looks too generic; a camel cricket or a mite of some sort woulda been a better choice :). And although I don't collect mammals, I'm surprised there is no bat. I guess they wanted critters that live exclusively in caves and don't venture out :).
Still I applaud Safari for their efforts.
Thinking of it, Blaine, is it really a centipede? Just a thought, those limbs don't look suitable for walking and between the antenna and the first "proper" leg there's a short, thick appendage just in front of the legs. Okay, it could be a maxilliped, but there may be an alternative explanation. My suggestion, although it's hard to believe any company ever makes one, is that it's possibly meant to be a remipedian! :o The antenna and the thick appendage could then be the rami of antenna 1 or the thick appendage could be a maxilliped, some remipedians also have conspicuous maxillipeds. I counted 19 or so segments which would also be in the range of Remipedia (although it's very close to the segment count of a scolopender, too).

Edit: Found another interpretation alternative... ;D

bmathison1972

Quote from: brontodocus on October 14, 2013, 08:40:02 PM
Thinking of it, Blaine, is it really a centipede? Just a thought, those limbs don't look suitable for walking and between the antenna and the first "proper" leg there's a short, thick appendage just in front of the legs. Okay, it could be a maxilliped, but there may be an alternative explanation. My suggestion, although it's hard to believe any company ever makes one, is that it's possibly meant to be a remipedian! :o The antenna and the thick appendage could then be the rami of antenna 1 or the thick appendage could be a maxilliped, some remipedians also have conspicuous maxillipeds. I counted 19 or so segments which would also be in the range of Remipedia (although it's very close to the segment count of a scolopender, too).

Actually I've been snooping around and it could be a millipede after all; the antennae just look a bit long. I hope so, I don't have a single toy millipede!

Can we assume the crab is Menidopsis and the crayfish Cambarus jonesi? The spider and scorpion is anyone's guess.

bmathison1972

actually cancel the Munidopsis theory...