News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The Animal Toy Forum Diorama Contest 2013 - [Results!]

Started by AnimalToyForum, October 14, 2013, 06:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimalToyForum

I've just announced the winners in the two tie-break polls, but wanted to gather all the results in a single thread for clarity too. So, the final results of The Animal Toy Forum Diorama Contest 2013, sponsored by Safari Ltd, are as follows

First place prize winner
8. Prairie town, by A.Garcia.

Second place prize winner
1. Relishing the wet season's greenery, by SeanieP

Third place prize winner
6. Vagabond herd, by Okapiboy

4th Place (Honourable mention).
5. Jaguar in the wild, by MartinH

Congratulations to all the winners, and to everyone for taking part and voting. The fact that it was so close show how good the quality was in this first contest! I'll be in touch with the prize winners via email soon to arrange the prizes.

2014 contest here we come...

brontodocus

Congrats to the winners! :) It was a very close poll indeed!
I hope A.Garcia will also reveal what figures were used exactly. :) But all of you made great entries!

Jetoar

Congratulations to the winners. My diorama was "uneasy"  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

OkapiBoy

A.Garcia

Thank you to those who supported my diorama, #8 Prairie Town, and congratulations to the other winners! It was very exciting with such a close contest, and such a variety of styles among the pictures. I'll say a bit about my entry now. The three pronghorns are repainted commercial figures, while the other animals are handmade. The large pronghorn is from New-Ray (in a set with a mountain goat and bighorn sheep). It is excellently sculpted but was sold virtually unpainted. The background pronghorns could have been a little clearer- they are from a K&M International tube (left) and a Safari Ltd. North American wildlife toob (right). The little foreground figures represent black-tailed prairie dogs, burrowing owls, a black-footed ferret, and a plains garter snake (all ~1:10 scale). The picture was "stitched" from two overlapping photos with slight camera rotation. The horizon is adjusted with sky from another photo- I found that a prairie-like horizon was hard to find for small figures at a low angle. The picture ended up with a sort of "museum diorama" quality that I like, even if it lacks some of the naturalism I first had in mind. Happily it looks like a nice day, though it was terribly hot when I arranged the scene. My prairie creatures are envious of the flora in SeanieP's diorama, and may demand a handmade environment with wildflowers...

Ana

Quote from: A.Garcia on October 27, 2013, 05:59:33 AM
Thank you to those who supported my diorama, #8 Prairie Town, and congratulations to the other winners! It was very exciting with such a close contest, and such a variety of styles among the pictures. I'll say a bit about my entry now. The three pronghorns are repainted commercial figures, while the other animals are handmade. The large pronghorn is from New-Ray (in a set with a mountain goat and bighorn sheep). It is excellently sculpted but was sold virtually unpainted. The background pronghorns could have been a little clearer- they are from a K&M International tube (left) and a Safari Ltd. North American wildlife toob (right). The little foreground figures represent black-tailed prairie dogs, burrowing owls, a black-footed ferret, and a plains garter snake (all ~1:10 scale). The picture was "stitched" from two overlapping photos with slight camera rotation. The horizon is adjusted with sky from another photo- I found that a prairie-like horizon was hard to find for small figures at a low angle. The picture ended up with a sort of "museum diorama" quality that I like, even if it lacks some of the naturalism I first had in mind. Happily it looks like a nice day, though it was terribly hot when I arranged the scene. My prairie creatures are envious of the flora in SeanieP's diorama, and may demand a handmade environment with wildflowers...

Amazing animals figures on this photo, congratulations!! Did you sculpt other animals except pronghorns? :D

brontodocus

Many thanks for the information, A.Garcia, and once again congrats for winning! :)

AnimalToyForum

First and second place prizes have been dispatched and received.  C:-)
Third place prize will follow shortly, I'm sure Okapiboy won't mind the delay. ;)