News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Lepidoptera

Started by brontodocus, April 09, 2013, 10:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brontodocus

Walk-around of the Yujin Insects of Japan Series 4 No. 32 Paper Kite or Large Tree Nymph, Idea leuconoe Erichson, 1834. This species is an impressively large brush-footed butterfly (Nymphalidae, since the family Danaidae is now usually sunk in Nymphalidae) from South East Asia which is frequently shown in tropical gardens and zoos. It's a close relative of the famous Monarch Butterfly, Danaus plexippus. The Yujin Insects of Japan figures are an exceptionally well-made series, even surpassing most Animatales in quality, and all figures from the series are more or less life size. This figure (at least judging from the wing dimensions the largest of them all) is no exception at approx. 120 mm wing span. The last photos show it together with its 27 mm long chrysalis which is the secret figure (No. 38) of the same series.

Edit 2017-02-07: Fixed broken image urls.

Jetoar

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Ana

brontodocus

Thanks, Jetoar & Ana! :) It's also not too difficult to find... By the way, I was just wondering why this walk-around doesn't show up in the Recent reviews and walk-arounds...

postsaurischian

:D Wow! These photos are pure pleasure!
Wonderful pics of a beautiful butterfly - thanks for showing!

I had one of these Yujin Insects sets myself and I must say I had a hard time installing the butterflies' antennas ;D.
                                                                                                            :-[ I'm not very talented.

brontodocus

Thanks, Helge! :) Installing the antennae sometimes requires magnifying glasses and good light, especially when it's one of those figures with a dark head, the holes in which the antennae have to be inserted are very small. I would also recommend to glue them on with epoxy, otherwise they may fall off easily. Assembling the four wings together and putting the resulting peg into the thorax can be tricky, too.

Hercules beetle

I dont have very many butterflies or moths at all yet... i got a purple emperor and a plain white butterfly.

bmathison1972

well since you started a lep thread I guess I can start to contribute. Don't have images yet, so I'll add them as I take them (like I did for the Decapoda thread).

Hercules beetle

My obsession of moths and butterflies  is unusual and its been lifelong... i keep looking at the luna moth life cycle from safari.

Hercules beetle

Is there anybody with pictures around here? butterflies are very common and moths are rare, right?
Oh and also, i really want a queen alexanders birdwing butterfly, i have seem them before in the dinosaur toy forum.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Hercules beetle on October 17, 2014, 09:54:15 PM
Is there anybody with pictures around here? butterflies are very common and moths are rare, right?
Oh and also, i really want a queen alexanders birdwing butterfly, i have seem them before in the dinosaur toy forum.

I am about to upload some saturniid pics; gimme about 10 min

bmathison1972

Here are my smaller silkworm moth (Saturniidae) figures; the large luna moth by Safari LTD (Smithsonian Collection) is not included here:

BACK ROW:
1) cecropia moth caterpillar, Hyalophora cecropia (Safari LTD, Smithsonian Collection)

MIDDLE ROW, left to right:
1) atlas moth, Attacus atlas (Kaiyodo, Capsule Q Animatales)
2) emperor gum moth, Opodiphthera eucalypti (Cadbury, Yowies-Australian release)
3) ailanthus moth, caterpillar, Samia Cynthia (Kaiyodo, Caterpillars 1)

FRONT ROW, left to right:
1) small emperor moth, Saturnia pavonia (Kaiyodo, Souvenirs Entomologiques)-you see the male here; the female is under the cage (which opens up to reveal her)
2) luna moth life cycle, Actias luna (Safari LTD, Safariology)

Hercules beetle

Quote from: bmathison1972 on October 17, 2014, 10:03:38 PM
Here are my smaller silkworm moth (Saturniidae) figures; the large luna moth by Safari LTD (Smithsonian Collection) is not included here:

BACK ROW:
1) cecropia moth caterpillar, Hyalophora cecropia (Safari LTD, Smithsonian Collection)

MIDDLE ROW, left to right:
1) atlas moth, Attacus atlas (Kaiyodo, Capsule Q Animatales)
2) emperor gum moth, Opodiphthera eucalypti (Cadbury, Yowies-Australian release)
3) ailanthus moth, caterpillar, Samia Cynthia (Kaiyodo, Caterpillars 1)

FRONT ROW, left to right:
1) small emperor moth, Saturnia pavonia (Kaiyodo, Souvenirs Entomologiques)
2) luna moth life cycle, Actias luna (Safari LTD, Safariology)

Wow! Thats made my day, i love the atlas moth

Hercules beetle

I know where to get that lunar life cycle set, definitely buying some time.

brontodocus

Wonderful!  :) You should probably have removed the fly screen cheese dome thing from the Souvenirs Entomologiques Saturnia pavonia to show the female underneath, too. :)
I could probably add some lepidopteran figures, too. Although I doubt I have any that Blaine doesn't have.

Hercules beetle

Well go ahead and post, i love to see any arthropod toy photo  ;D

bmathison1972

Quote from: brontodocus on October 17, 2014, 10:09:52 PM
Wonderful!  :) You should probably have removed the fly screen cheese dome thing from the Souvenirs Entomologiques Saturnia pavonia to show the female underneath, too. :)
I could probably add some lepidopteran figures, too. Although I doubt I have any that Blaine doesn't have.

Since your photos are already taken, post them and I will add to them or elaborate.

I will try to do some more leps this weekend now that we have a thread going for them.

Hercules beetle

Just found replicas of great cloudless sulphur and swallowtail caterpillars,although my purple emperor seems to be hiding...  will post pics later.

Hercules beetle

Seeing some atlases on ebay... must be new right? would of seen it before.

bmathison1972

hornworms or hawk moths, Sphingidae.

From left to right:
1) deaths-head hawkmoth, caterpillar, Acherontia lachesis (Kaiyodo, Capsule Q Caterpillars 1)
2) scrofa moth, Hippotion scrofa (Cadbury, Yowies--Australian release)
3) impatiens hawkmoth, caterpillar, Theretra oldenlandiae (Kaiyodo, Capsule Q Caterpillars 2)